Monday, May 4, 2015

5/5/15: Two Carbo-Loading Meal Plans

    I knew that carbo-loading required a massive amount of carbohydrates to be eaten in a day, but I didn't really know any specific foods to do this, much less an entire day's worth of meals. So I did some research. LiveStrong.com suggests eating between 450 and 700 grams of carbohydrates per day over the two days before the racing. Because I weigh 150 lbs, light for your average athlete, I kept my meal plans around 470 grams of carbs per day. To count carbohydrates, I searched for the nutritional data of my food on Nutritiondata.self.com.
    The First Meal
Breakfast: 1 bagel w/ jam, 1 8 oz yogurt, and 1 8 oz glass of orange juice
Morning Snack: 2 Nature Valley granola bars, 1 8 oz Gatorade
Lunch: 2 cups of pasta with .5 cups marinara sauce, 4 oz of strawberries
Afternoon Snack: 1 clif bar, 14 oz chocolate milk
Dinner: 1 chicken burrito with rice and beans
TOTAL carbs: 468
    The Second Meal
Breakfast: 2 cups cereal, .5 cups milk, one banana
Morning Snack: 1 trail mix package, 1 8 oz gatorade
Lunch: .5 cups applesauce, 1 grilled cheese sandwich on wheat bread, 12 oz chocolate covered almonds, 12 oz lemonade
Afternoon Snack: 1 clif bar, 1 8 oz gatorade
Dinner: 4 oz fried chicken, .5 cups parboiled rice, .5 cups lentils, 4 oz fruit
TOTAL carbs: 477
    I am going to experiment with this diet over Tuesday 5/5/15 and Wednesday 5/6/15 in preparation for a swim meet I am competing in on Thursday the 7th. I will publish results after the meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment